Safe Kids Louisville
Safe Kids Louisville, a program led by Children's Hospital Foundation Office of Child Advocacy of Kosair Children's Hospital, is comprised of public, private and voluntary organizations, committed to preventing unintentional injuries-the leading cause of death and disability to children 0-17 years of age-and to reducing the severity of such injuries, should they occur. The mechanisms of injury that have been targeted are falls, drowning, fires/burns, poisoning, choking, pedestrian and bicycle-related injuries, highway rail grade crossing injuries and injuries to motor vehicle occupants and drivers. This coalition in conjunction with Safe Kids Worldwide will unify efforts by providing leadership in injury control through education, research, media awareness, public policy and community action.
For more information about the coalition, meetings, activities and events, please contact the area coordinator, Erika Janes, RN.
Raising Safe Kids: One Stage at a Time
Learn more about the Bike Safety Rodeo.
- Determine the number of children 0-17 years of age in the state and local area that are killed annually by falls, drowning, burns/fires, poisoning, choking, pedestrian and/or bicycle-related injuries and motor vehicle crashes.
- Utilize Kosair Children's Hospital data (and other sources when available) to determine the number of children injured in each risk area.
- Identify demographic characteristics for each risk area.
- Determine which risk areas coalition is able to address based on personnel and financial resources.
- Develop an action plan for these risk areas based on the "E's of Injury Prevention": Education, Environmental/product design and modification, Enactment and Enforcement.
- Develop, implement and evaluate coalition initiatives.
- Continue to seek funding for ongoing efforts.
- Fully utilize the wealth of information and support provided from Safe Kids Worldwide through their resources, programming and financial opportunities and leadership.
- Support Safe Kids Louisville.
Safe Kids Louisville
Led by the Children's Hospital Foundation Office of Child Advocacy of Kosair Children's Hospital
Phone: (502) 629-7335
Fax: (502) 629-7331
Erika Janes, RN.
In this video, Erika Janes, R.N., shows us how to stay safe during Halloween.