Allergy and Immunology
The Allergy and Immunology Service at Kosair Children's Hospital provides general diagnosis and treatment for allergic diseases including:
- Allergic rhinitis (hay fever)
- Food, drug, stinging insect allergies
- Allergic atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Hives (uticaria)
- Primary immune deficiency disorders (children with recurring infections)
We provide comprehensive treatment for recurrent, severe or chronic asthma by using innovative therapies, including health education for self-management. Teaching sessions are provided to patients and families by the asthma team, which consists of physicians and nurse specialists.
In fact, Kosair Children's Hospital helped start Kentucky's first asthma camp.
We offer comprehensive asthma disease management involving:
- Identification and testing for triggers in the environment
- Education, including development of asthma critical paths for the hospital
- Ongoing research in adherence and compliance in patients
- Ongoing research in new drug development for allergy and asthma
This segment discusses the challenges of childhood asthma and how they are addressed at Kosair Children’s Hospital. Interviews include Beth VanCleave, R.N., asthma educator at Kosair Children’s, along with a patient, Kyeli, and her mother Shaneka Brandon.
Specific services provided include:
- Skin testing to determine allergy to inhalants, foods, drugs and stinging insects
- Pulmonary function testing for evaluation of asthma
- Education of patients and families related to asthma, allergic disease and avoidance of environmental allergens and triggers
As Kentucky's only free standing, tertiary care facility dedicated to caring for children, Kosair Children's Hospital offers comprehensive pediatric medical services and treatment programs in a child-friendly atmosphere.
For more information on our services on Allergy and Immunology Services, call (502) 629-6000.