Youth Advisory Council
"People of the children, for the children and nothing but the children."
No one knows Kosair Children's Hospital better than its patients.
Whether they are receiving care at the hospital now, are former patients or siblings of patients, members of the Youth Advisory Council draw on their personal experiences to help Kosair Children's Hospital be the best hospital it can be for kids and youth.
The Youth Advisory Council, established in May 2008, is a dedicated group of youth ages 10 to 18, offering practical ideas on how to help Kosair Children's Hospital focus even more closely on the special needs of children and teenagers. Members eagerly voice their opinions and weigh in on everything from the hospital menu to how adults at the hospital relate to them and other kids.
- Ensure a child-, teen- and family-friendly atmosphere by advising hospital staff and administration on issues regarding hospitalization and/or outpatient treatment as experienced through the eyes of a patient.
- Contribute to the development or revision of pertinent programs, services and policies, and provide input into the creation of a child-, teen- and family-friendly environment.
- Help familiarize current patients and families, as well as the greater community, with the programs and services available to them throughout the hospital.
- Serve as a voice for pediatric patients.
Why Serve on the Council
We take seriously our role of representing other patients. We're eager to find opportunities to talk with patients and staff to let them know about the council's role. Here are some of our current projects and accomplishments.
- Advocated for ginger ale to be stocked in the Cancer Care and Renal Center
- Provided input on Switcheroo menus for inpatients
- Filmed a family-centered care documentary
- Gave feedback to nursing staff on use of information boards in patient rooms
List of Accomplishments:
- Annually support the Festival of Trees and Lights to help raise money for the hospital
- Serve dinner to units in the hospital
- Decorated treatment rooms to make them more kid-friendly and less scary
- Celebrate a special patient-specific holiday
Help us better represent all patients at Kosair Children's Hospital!
Tell us about a positive experience or something that could be made better by sending an email to YAC@nortonhealthcare.org
For information about joining the Youth Advisory Council, call the Child Life and Expressive Therapies office at (502) 629-7542.