Kidney Care at Kosair Children's Hospital is staffed and equipped to diagnose and treat all kidney disorders using a multidisciplinary team approach made up of:
We provide care for the youngest infants through young adults up to age 20 and can assist with transitioning young adults to another care team once they outgrow our services.
At Kosair Children's Hospital, we provide evaluation and treatment for a wide range of kidney-related conditions, including:
- acute kidney injury
- chronic kidney disease
- fluid and electrolyte disorders
- nephrotic syndrome
- urinary tract infections
- kidney stones
- abnormalities of kidney development
- acute and chronic dialysis therapies including plasmapheresis therapy
Kidney transplant services
Kosair Children's Hospital is home to Kentucky 's only pediatric kidney transplant program. We performed our first kidney transplant in 1987. As a participant of the North American Pediatric Renal Trials Collaborative Studies (NAPRTCS), we have access to cutting-edge research and treatment options. As a member of the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) and through organ donor programs, we are able to find donor matches for our patients. The kidney transplant services at Kosair Children's Hospital offer:
- Preemptive transplants (transplants before dialysis begins)
- Pre-, intra- and post-operative care and support
- Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis
- Management of post-operative care for patients who received kidney transplants at other facilities
Our program is approved by Medicare.
Kosair Children's Hospital
231 E. Chestnut St.
Louisville, KY 40202
Kidney Transplant Coordinators (502) 629-6000