As a part of Norton Heart Care, Kosair Children's Hospital provides comprehensive, integrated care for infants, children, adolescents, and adults with congenital or acquired heart disease. Ours is the largest pediatric cardiovascular service in the region performing more than 400 surgeries, 200 catheterizations and 12,000 non-invasive cardiac physiology studies including echocardiograms each year.
Our staff believes that every child is entitled to family-centered health care delivered by a collaborative team of practitioners. Children are cared for by experienced cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, anesthesiologists, registered nurses (with special training in pediatrics), respiratory therapists, nutritionists, child life specialists and other team members. We work with parents to develop an individualized plan of care to meet your child's as well as your family's special needs.
As part of our program, we provide thorough assessments for chest pain, syncope and arrhythmias.
Other services of our renowned Congenital Heart Center include:
- Exercise physiology assessments
- Fetal cardiology assessments
- Congenital Heart Cardiac Catheterization
- Interventional and electrophysiologic catheterization
- Pediatric heart transplantation
- Pediatric cardiovascular surgeries
Our pediatric interventional cardiology program is considered a center of excellence by many in the region. We perform a host of traditional as well as innovative procedures. We are the first provider of septal occlusion therapy and Melody value implantation, which results in non-surgical repair of congenital heart defects using the "cardioseal" device.
Pediatric palliative care is medical care that focuses on treating the pain, symptoms and stress of children and families facing complex or life-threatening medical conditions. This care is provided along with any other treatment the child receives, so they can remain comfortable at any state of illness.
- First echocardiographic lab in Kentucky and among the first in U.S.
- First Duplex Scanner (guided Doppler within two-dimensional image) in Kentucky and among the first in the world
- First institution to place echocardiographic equipment in nursery
- First to utilize transtelephonic echocardiography in Kentucky and among the first in the world
- First to provide routine transesophageal and epicardial echocardiography on a routine basis during cardiovascular surgery
- First to perform neonatal cardiac transplant in Kentucky and second in the U.S.
- First to perform arterial switch procedures in Kentucky and among first in the U.S.
- First stent implantation in pulmonary artery in Kentucky
- First Congential Heart Center, serving pediatrics and adults
- First to implant a minimally invasive Melody valve, used to replace dysfunctional valves without open heart surgery in Kentucky
- First, with the University of Louisville, to print and use a 3-D model of a child's heart to plan a heart surgery
As Kentucky's only free standing, tertiary care facility dedicated to caring for children, Kosair Children's Hospital offers comprehensive pediatric medical services and treatment programs in a child-friendly atmosphere.
New Melody Valve Procedure Can Help Avoid Open Heart Surgery
Get Healthy's Jackie Hays talks with Stephanie Privert, a 16-year-old Haitian girl was brought to Louisville for a lifesaving operation to repair a leaky heart valve, and one of her heart surgeons, Erle Austin, M.D., chief of cardiothoracic surgery at Kosair Children's Hospital, about her recovery, life today and plans for the future.
For more information on our Pediatric Heart Care services, call (502) 629-6000.